April 8, 2015

Black Bean Brownies (GF/DF)

Being suddenly dairy-free (thanks, little Anselm!) means that I've been unable to indulge my sweet tooth with my usual post-Communion doughnuts and similar treats. In fact, the other day we were out walking and stopped in at the town bakery, and then I realised that there was literally nothing there I could eat. So I just smelled the air for a while and departed, glumly.

Anyway! For the two very good reasons of 1) wanting to convince myself that there are still many delicious things I can eat and 2) wanting brownies, I made me some dairy-free black bean brownies. The post title probably told you that was coming.

The original recipe is here but I messed around with it significantly (as one does). The recipe with my variations is below.

The verdict?They're... okay. Good but not great. The texture is sort of fudgey-cakey-quichelike, and I would probably add more chocolate. You can definitely taste the beans. It needs more tweaking but it has potential... this is not likely to become a family favourite but I will keep it in my back pocket for entertaining gluten-free / dairy-free friends.

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

Ingredients:

1 can black beans (15 oz)
3 eggs
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 'glug' maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar

Rinse and drain beans.

Put all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.

Pour into greased 8x8 pan. Bake at 350F until top is dry and edges pull away from the pan, about 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Mom said...

It is possible to find dairy-free margarine: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/167501-what-margarine-is-dairy-free-making-dinner-for-new-mom-and-their-ds-has-allergies/

Or you can use oil in brownies -- and flour, of course! -- but I'm sure you had fun experimenting.