May 3, 2008

April Books

Well, kiddaroos, here are the things I read in April, with some brief commentary occasionally appended. As usual, an asterisk denotes a first-time read.

*A Place of Hiding, by Elizabeth George. I do like Elizabeth George books. I'm not sure how we'll they'll hold up on re-reading, because they are mysteries and because I haven't yet read enough of them to need to re-read any of them, but they are very clever and quite enjoyable. A little gritty, though.

*Making Money, by Terry Pratchett. Haha! The main character's name is Moist von Lipwig! Is there anything else you would need to know before reading this book?

*Atonement, by Ian McEwan. Hmm. I will let my review speak for itself.

*The War of the Worlds, by H. G. Wells.

Unshelved, by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum. This book is the first collected collection (eh?) of Unshelved strips. If you are not reading Unshelved every day, you really, really need to. Please to enclicken here.

Library Mascot Cage Match, by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum. This is the third collection, ditto.

Read Responsibly, by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum. And, as above... and as the above of the above. You know.

*Thud!, by Terry Pratchett. I think this is probably my favourite of all of the Discworld books I have yet read. Yes, Pratchett writes silly fiction -- but underneath those funny bits are lots of serious, incredibly smart things. Plus, this novel contains within itself what must be a most excellent children's book.

*Dining with Death, by Kathleen Molloy. Again, I'll mostly let the review speak for itself -- but I want to say that this is one of the best books I've yet read as a result of having this blog up.

What Would Dewey Do?, by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum.

*Lolita, by Vladimir Nabukov. I read this book over the course of about a month and a half, for roughly two sessions of forty or so minutes each per week (I was reading it in a non-lending library in between classes). And the library in which I read it is the closest thing yet I've found to my ideal: stone walls, high ceiling, dark wood bookshelves built into the walls, leather couches and chairs, two fireplaces, giant bay windows for sitting near or in, near-complete silence ... marvellous.

*Men at Arms, by Terry Pratchett.

*The Ovum Factor, by Marvin L. Zimmerman.

*Hogsfather, by Terry Pratchett.

*Mort, by Terry Pratchett.

*Maskerade, by Terry Pratchett. This one I also really, really enjoyed. There is an opera ghost. It is excessively amusing.

*Monstrous Regiment, by Terry Pratchett.

*Playing for the Ashes, by Elizabeth George. Another excellent George novel. The only thing was that it's full of cricketing terms, which I found rather bemusing.

What Would Wally Do? by Scott Adams. This is a really poorly put-together anthology. Strips appear out of date (for example, a three-day series appears in the book as Day Three, Day One, Day Two) and mess things up. But I was bored, so I read it. So it goes.

Piercing the Darkness, by Frank Peretti. I really like this book. You know, it's really really hard to find Christian fiction that isn't just a giant ball of syrupy, cheese-ball goo. But this novel is quite enjoyable. It's fast-paced, and very well written.

Clearly, this was a big month for reading certain types of books over and over. I got through two Elizabeth George novels, four Unshelved books, and, yes, seven Terry Pratchett novels. Three of us here at home are reading through the entire Discworld series; we still have about twenty books to go, and so I don't expect this pattern to change any time soon.

In terms of reading for challenges, I finished twenty books in April, putting me to 37 books total since I started the 100+ Reading Challenge.  (The goal of this challenge is to read at least a hundred books in the space of a year -- that's 1.9/wk -- and if you like this sort of thing I encourage you to click through and check it out for yourself. It's fun.)

What were the best books you read in April? Were there any worst books?

10 comments:

Mrs S | 50 Book Challenge said...

Your Atonement review is a masterpiece! I read On Chesil Beach and could not see why it had so much hype - I was coming round to thinking about Atonement but now I think I won't bother *lol*

My favourite book for April was To Kill a Mockingbird - I can't believe it's taken me this long to read it! My worst was And so things came to an end by Joshua Ferris - I didn't actually get to the end only chapter 3 and gave up as I was bored to tears...

Webster12 said...

darn...you have 20 books for april...i gotta catch up on my reading..coz i defintely have lots to read..

I prolly only have 2 or 3 books finished this april. and Almost 2 done this early may.

J. Kaye said...

You are totally rocking! :-D I am not sure I'll make my goal...I'm trying though!

bkclubcare said...

Best books I read in April were On Chesil Beach and House of Meetings by Martin Amis. I only got 4 books read. Which for me is damn good!

errantdreams said...

Great list! I do love Pratchett, even though I haven't read anything by him in ages. He has such a wonderful sense of humor.

kegsoccer said...

I recently acquired "Lolita" although I haven't yet read it. I heard that while it is difficult, that the language is simply amazing!

Christine said...

Kegsoccer, you've heard correctly -- Lolita's writing is incredible.

glumpuddle said...

Hmm, April's best and worst eh? Let's see.
OK, I don't think I can categorize by best and worst, but here are some comments and titles:
Most Interesting - Case Histories by Kate Atkinson - a novel, but you don't really know that it is a novel until about chapter 4 - before that it might have been short stories.
Most Tedious - Pity My Simplicity by Paul Sangster, a 60s history of evangelical education with too many assumptions. Pretty superficial in some places.
Most Enjoyable ReRead - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis. Less than a week until Prince Caspian!

Kathleen Molloy said...

Thanks, Christine for the encouraging words in your April summary. Your review of Dining with Death is making the rounds and will soon be posted (in full) on the website and the new blog: www.kathleenmolloy.offo.ca

Many thanks,

Kathleen
www.diningwithdeath.ca

Nymeth said...

"Thud!, by Terry Pratchett. I think this is probably my favourite of all of the Discworld books I have yet read. Yes, Pratchett writes silly fiction — but underneath those funny bits are lots of serious, incredibly smart things."

Yes yes yes yes yes! Thud is one of my favourite Discworld books (and therefore, one of my favourite books). And Where is My Cow is just brilliant :D

I finished Lolita a couple of days ago. It was a first time read for me as well. I'll post my thoughts on it soon, but they can be summed up like this: disturbing story, no doubt, but wow, breathtaking writing.